Wednesday, March 20, 2013

CATS! (Not the musical, the species...)


Before high school I never had much experience with cats, but not for lack of trying. For some reason my entire family loathes cats. I'm assuming because of the long standing competition of cats versus dogs.
Apparently one simply cannot appreciate both.
What I love about cats is their obvious attitude. "The cat, more than any other domestic animal, has kept her independence, spiritual and physical..."(825). With most dogs, I've noticed that even if someone were to yell at them or abuse them they will come back to their owner because they love them unconditionally. I have yet to notice the same behavior with cats. You must earn the affection of a cat. My friend described the love between a cat and its human as a mutual understanding. "You feed me and take care of me and I'll keep you company and try not to scratch you."
The line, "His tired gaze--from passing endless bars--has turned into a vacant stare which thing holds..." (818) from Rilkes poem 'The Panther' reminds me of what the cats at Austin Pets Alive and the cats at countless other adoption centers go through each day that they are not adopted. The majestic panther no longer carries the mysterious spark in it's eyes because it's right to experience life has been stripped. The cats in the shelter have been saved from starving in the streets, but unless they are adopted they are doomed to live out the rest of their lives behind bars in an uncomfortable cage.
"Oh, men do us vast injustice, And we look for thanks in vain; They misunderstand completely All our nature's finer strain." (846) 
A cat confined to a cage can no longer roam as it pleases, observe the happenings of daily life, or enjoy its existence. I felt that the line in Schefell's poem about humans misunderstanding cats was very true, at least for myself. I have a hard time coming up with ways in which cats effect my life. I do not own one and I rarely see cats, therefore I am a strong advocate for leaving them alone. I am not going to chase down a cat to "save it" unless it is dire need for help, something I would do for a dog. It's strange, I know, but I've always felt that cats were much more self-sufficent than the canine species. In my opinion, a cat strives on freedom. Strip a cat of its freedom and it is loses what makes him a cat. 


- Arctic Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment